Eloy – Dawn
Eloy – Dawn was the fifth album by the German progressive rock band Eloy. It was released in 1976
Progarchives: Eloy – Dawn is one of Their strongest albums. It shows that they have improved their skills in songwriting as well as their mastery in their instruments. Also, the sound quality is better than in the previous albums. The album is very cohesive and symphonic. The pink floyd influences are less obvious, giving a fresher feel. The lyrics and vocals still suffer.
The first set of short songs are connected together, forming a mini-epic which begins with a string arrangement that is followed by a prog rock arrangement with blues-style vocals. It ends with a female vocalist. I like the way she sings. The Sun Song and The Dance in Doubt and Fear are space rock pieces full of keyboard playing. The former has more of a ballad feel while the latter is more energetic and has lots of dialogue. The “Lost” epic focuses on the music, and it succeds. There are plenty of good moments in this piece. The Midnight flight is a good long rocker with memorable riffing, but this website has a much better version of it in the samples. The last epic begins with another spacy soft rock until a bass line is brought to the front of the musical landscape and a reference to a Yes song is quoted. Later, female choirs are brought to the mix. Then, more instruments start appearing making this a well-done buildup to the climax which consists of a moog/guitar duet solo. The piace (and album) ends with strings.
Overall, this is a good concept album that should be own for the music, not the lyrics.
Highlights: Between The Times, Appareance of the Voice, Return of the Voice, The Dawn
Low Points: The middle of the album is somewhat boring and directionless.
Eloy – Dawn Line-up / Musicians
– Fank Bornemann / vocals, guitars
– Klaus-Peter Matziol / basses, vocals
– Detlev Schmidtchen / keyboards, mellotron, guitars, vocals
– Jürgen Rosenthal / drums, percussion , voices
– Symphonic Orchestra conducted by Wolfgang Maus
Eloy – Dawn Tracklist
- Awakening (2:38)
- Between the Times (1:50)
- Memory Flash (1:55)
- Appearance of The Voice (1:12)
- Return of The Voice (1:08)
- The Sun Song (4:55)
- The Dance in Doubt and Fear (4:27)
- Lost!?? (Introduction) (5:15)
- Lost?? (The Decision) (5:51)
- The Midnight Fight/The Victory of Mental Force (7:18)
- Gliding into Light and Knowledge/The Dawn (11:04)
Licence YouTube standard